Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Magical Evening with Matt Morris...


"Here, long before the clear, I was here singing songs alone, in empty rooms. And I can't forget your voice, it's crystal clear; I hear it callin' out, and you say... I told you everything I swear, so don't you dare. I told you everything I swear, so don't you dare..." sang Matt Morris as he revealed his amazing talent to the crowd at the Hotel Café in Hollywood, California on July 12th. It was as if through his lyrics, Matt pleaded with the crowd for their attention; which, he immediately captured, as the audience clung to his every word. With an air of mystery surrounding him, he ventured into his hour long set which was filled with passion and integrity.

After a string of upbeat songs, such as "You Do It For Me" and "100,000 Strong," Matt performed a sublime rendition of "Forgiveness." It was at that point in his set that Matt divulged his soul to the audience. Every time I hear this song, I weep tears of sadness and joy. Seeing Matt's eyes tear up while performing this song, at an arm's length away from me, was one of the most beautiful moments I have ever experienced. I had to fight the urge to reach out and give him a huge bear hug. (Hey, I have been a "Matt Morris fan" since 1991, so, that was hard work!) As time lingered on, Matt's soulful hazel eyes sparkled as he talked about the re-release of his album "When Everything Breaks Open" on Interscope Records. He also talked about how he had to rearrange the songs for his bout as the opening act for Ingrid Michaelson's tour this summer. At this point he introduced the two amazingly talented musicians who performed on stage with him; Dave Preston on guitar and Jon Powers on drums.

Another highlight of the night was hearing "Bloodline" performed live, as it is a song that holds a special meaning and special memories for my family and I. From the very first note, until the last, I could not fight back the tears. Matt demonstrated that his voice has an unbelievable range and depth, which is not seen in most commercially promoted artists. His voice is what has captivated me all these years, and definitely captivated the entire room. After singing this song, Matt said, that he was excited to be playing at the Hotel Café, and that he was extremely grateful and honored to be singing in such a quiet space with such an amazing audience. He went on to perform a couple other songs such as "Money" and "The Un-American."

Nobody in attendance wanted this euphoric experience to end, but we all knew that that time was nearing, when Matt thanked his fans, new and old. Seeing Matt performing at such an intimate space was something that I had been dreaming of for almost 19 years. His smiling face beamed, as he introduced his last piece, my personal favorite, "Live Forever." This is another song that always makes me cry; but, for this one time, I did not cry. My heart felt elated to be there in that moment of time basking in the essence of Matt and the euphoria of the moment. There is something about Matt, that I just cannot put into words. His music is a cure for the soul, but hearing him sing live could literally cure all evils in this world. He is a true musician, who can shine performing all musical genres. However, Matt does not just perform, he feels.

10 comments:

  1. Jasmine2:20 PM

    I wish that I could have been there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon2:24 PM

    I'm going to check him out right now. You do know that you are very convincing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine2:48 PM

    Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I was there as well and the overall experience was indescribable. It really is hard to put into words what it is about him because he has something special, but this article about him and his performance was exquisitely put.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha4:42 PM

    Great article. I have been a fan since he appeared on Ellen. He is a very special man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael6:53 PM

    Hey Caroline and Chrissy, I was there too. Matt did an insanely awesome job. Matt, when will you be back in the area?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great time. Do you know if he will be coming to Ft. Lauderdale anytime soon? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jocelyn7:48 AM

    Am I the only one that notices the little orbs around him? Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw him in New York on Thursday and he is very talented. It was a pleasure seeing him. Thanks for a great show Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan1:46 PM

    Any plans for a show in Orlando? Please let us know. I would love to go. Thanks Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete